Background and Methodology
This Carbon Reduction Plan seeks to reduce carbon emissions caused by the business and training activities of ABM Training UK Ltd. The Board of Directors have agreed to implement this plan in accordance with ABM’s Carbon Reduction Policy. This can be found by following this link to our website:
We have set out baseline data as of the 31st December 2022 to detail the assessed emissions at that moment in time. We will subsequently measure annual reductions, using data collected at 12 month intervals.
Carbon Audit: December 2022
Blue Marble Education Ltd and its partners conducted an audit of ABM’s carbon emissions as of 31st December 2022. The emissions data that we report below conforms to the internationally approved Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard. Our Carbon Audit assessed ‘tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents (tCO2e) for Scopes 1, 2 and 3.
Scope 3 emissions data included an assessment of:
Business travel: transport related emissions from staff travel for work.
Postage: transport related emissions from post and courier use.
Employee commuting: transport related emissions from staff commuting to and from work.
Employee commuting: transport related emissions from staff visiting apprentices and/or employers.
Printing: emissions from producing printed material (e.g. training packs).
Home working: emissions from energy use while working at home from additional heating and electricity consumption.
We have used a range of digital accounting tools to produce this assessment, including the integration of our accountancy software with Ecologizero emissions calculating tools.
Carbon Footprint: December 2022
The business and training activities of ABM Training UK Ltd, as of December 2022 (the ‘baseline year’) produced a total of 142.5 tC02e.
The table below quantifies our emissions for Scopes 1,2 and 3.
ABM Training UK Ltd tCO2e Emissions Table
|Scope 1 emissions
|Scope 2 emissions
|Scope 3 emissions
GHG Emissions Reduction Targets
ABM Training UK Ltd is committed to achieving net zero emissions by 2050 and by 2030 for any provision delivered within the footprint of the Great London Assembly (GLA).
We will produce an annual carbon audit within six months of our financial year end (31st December) and publish our progress against these targets.
We will achieve these reductions by implementing a range of organisational and cultural / behaviour changes – shown in our Carbon Reduction Activities detailed below. We aim to make year on year reductions of at least 12% of overall tCO2e.
Carbon Reduction Activities
Following the establishment of baseline tCO2e emissions and the ABM Carbon Footprint, we have planned a range of activities designed to reduce overall GHG emissions. Immediate activities planned include:
- Implementing ABM’s Carbon Reduction Policy and disseminating this to all staff. This policy will be included in all new staff inductions from March 2023 onwards;
- Increasing the use of online and digital learning technology to further reduce the need for staff to use ‘emissions heavy’ transport – notwithstanding ESFA an OFSTED requirements that will necessitate a number of face to face visits per learner;
- Continuing to reduce the use of paper, by providing digital onboarding, enrolment, assessment and certification;
- Procuring green energy suppliers to our offices;
- Improving recycling processes and encouraging staff to do the same in their homes/ home working environments, and;
- Using local suppliers of services to reduce carbon emissions caused by our procurement of goods and services.
Our initial assessment suggests that these measures will reduce ABMs tCO2e by 12% in the next carbon accounting period.
We are also developing further reduction measures and these will be rolled out as follows:
2023 – 2024
- Compulsory training in Carbon Awareness for all employees – in partnership with Blue Marble Education;
- Encouraging walking and public trnspoert use where possible;
- Training and certification of two Workplace Champions of Sustainability at Level 3, and;
- A core curriculum element of carbon literacy that will be included on all learning programmes, alongside functional skills and digital skills: the Carbon Skills Programme.
- An incentive scheme to support employees transition to electrical vehicles;
- Procurement of EVs for fleet car use, and;
- Supporting vehicle sharing schemes.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol Corporate Standard1 and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with the Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) requirements.
The required subset of Scope 3 emissions has been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors:
Simon Greenleaf (Managing Director)